The 2020 Census has Begun!
What is the 2020 Census?
- The 2020 Census counts every person living in the 50 states, District of Columbia, and five U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
- The count is mandated by the Constitution and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, a nonpartisan government agency.
- Each home will receive an invitation to self-respond to a short questionnaire - Online, by Phone, or by Mail.
Why is the census conducted?
- The census provides critical data that lawmakers, business owners, teachers, and many others use to provide daily services, products, and support for you and your community.
- Every year, billions of dollars in federal funding go to hospitals, fire departments, schools, roads, and other resources based on census data.
- The results of the census also determine the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives, and they are used to draw congressional and state legislative districts.
- It's also in the Constitution: Article 1, Section 2, mandates that the country conduct a count of its population once every 10 years.
- The 2020 Census will mark the 24th time that the country has counted its population since 1790.
The census questionnaire is now available to complete online or by phone. Paper questionnaires will be mailed at a later date. But, why wait?
Although computers, here at the library, are not available, you can still do the census by phone. Phones lines are open every day from 7am to 2am Eastern Time – 5am to 12am Mountain Time.
To complete your questionnaire, call the number associated with your preferred language, as listed below.
- English: 1-844-330-2020
- Spanish: 1-844-468-2020
- Chinese (Mandarin): 1-844-391-2020
- Chinese (Cantonese): 1-844-398-2020
- Vietnamese: 1-844-461-2020
- Korean: 1-844-392-2020
- Russian: 1-844-417-2020
- Arabic: 1-844-416-2020
- Tagalog: 1-844-478-2020
- Polish: 1-844-479-2020
- French: 1-844-494-2020
- Haitian Creole: 1-844-477-2020
- Portuguese: 1-844-474-2020
- Japanese: 1-844-460-2020
- English (for Puerto Rico residents): 1-844-418-2020
- Spanish (for Puerto Rico residents): 1-844-426-2020
- TDD (Telephone Display Device): 1-844-467-2020
There are 59 other language options available for completing the questionnaire online.