Las Fiestas de San Lorenzo are an integral part of Bernalillo’s rich cultural calendar. Las Fiestas are accented with many festivities including a parade, rodeo, car show and entertainment at Rotary Park. Las fiestas are celebrated in honor of Bernalillo’s patron, San Lorenzo and throughout August 9, 10 and 11, the focus is on the ritual dance drama known as los Matachines.
Known throughout the region as the original and largest Matachines dance, this tradition has become a crucial component of Bernalillo’s identity. For information on the Bernalillo Matachines tradition, click on the links below.
- Manuscript Cover
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 – La Danza de los Matachines
- Chapter 2 – Origins of the Matachines Dance
- Chapter 3 – Early Spanish Explorations in the Southwest
- Chapter 4 – Roles and Characters of the Bernalillo Matachines
- Chapter 5 – Dancing History: The Matachines Dance
- Chapter 6 – Conclusions
*Matachines research done by Joseph Moreno in “The Tradition Continues: Los Matachines Dance of Bernalillo, New Mexico” 2008.